We've been having some pretty cold weather down here in the nation's capital and I have been craving some savory comfort food. I've been wanting to create a recipe for vegan lasagna for some time now and today I decided to do something about it.
I wanted to make my version of this dish as close to the original recipe as possible and boy is it spot on. Using a red sauce made with veggie ground, a tofu ricotta and ready bake noodles, I had the most hearty meal ready in no time.
Here's what you'll need:
1 package firm tofu
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
juice for 1/2 a lemon
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup fresh basil
VEGGIE GROUND SAUCE
2 packages Yves veggie ground
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 jar tomato sauce
1/2 cup fresh basil
2 cups fresh baby spinach
3 cloves garlic
12 Oven ready lasagna noodles
To make the tofu ricotta:
1. Press the tofu between two towels to release much of the liquid.
2. Once the tofu's pressed, add to food processor with olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic & basil.
3. Blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape the sides when needed.
To make sauce:
1. Crush garlic and brown in a saucepan over medium high heat.
2. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and veggie ground. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and add spinach.
1. Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with a layer of sauce, followed by a layer of lasagna noodles and then a layer of tofu ricotta. Repeat each layer.
2. Cover with a final layer of sauce and then top with shredded vegan mozza.
3. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes.
4. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve with your favorite vegan parmesan. Enjoy!